John ( 1730- 1815), the son of Peter PVS Umstead of Limerick is documented as the brother of Mary Umstead DeHaven of Limerick Twp. and Berks Co., whose records indicate her to have been the daughter of Peter PVS,son of Johannes and Mary, and grandson of immigrant Hans Peter. Marys husband Harmon DeHaven died in abt. 1761 in Berks Co.
From the estate records of HarmonDeHaven:
Feb 23, 1775 - Petition by Jacob Dehaven for a guardian. The front of this petition states John Umsted chosen and appointed. Above Umsted are the words uncle of the Petr (r is raised to indicate abbreviation.)
Feb. 23, 1775 Orphan's Court Book II, p. 201, states Pet. of Jacob Dehaven, minor above 14, chose John Umstead, his uncle.
John and his wife Elizabeth are buried at St. Gabriels cemetery. John Umstead Sr. June 23, 1815 aged 85 years. Rev. War flag by grave, now illegible. Elizabeth Umstead Sept. 6, 1816 aged 76 years. The maiden name of Elizabeth is not known.
Johns brother-in-law Harman DeHaven is on the 1752
tax list of Alsace Twp., and John is on the 1756 and 1759 Alsace
Twp. tax list. He is on the 1760 tax list as of Union Twp. Berks
Co., and attended St. Gabriels Church, Douglasville- - d.
Union Twp. Berks Co., bur. St. Gabriels.Church. [St. Gabriel's,
Dougasville, was originally Swedish Lutheran, and became Episcopalian
[Pastors and People Lutherans in Berks County]
There is no extant land record of the purchase of his land in 1760, nor have we found any estate records for him. We know that he had a son John living in 1815, per his name listed on tombstone as John Sr.
In 1792 John and Elizabeth Umstead sold to their son Jacob,
for natural love and affection which they have towards their
son Jacob Umstead 100 acres. Land: Beg. West side of River
Schuylkill, corner of late Jacob Stover,....land of late John
Pennebacker. 100 A part of 550 A patented to Anthony Morris.....April
14, 1761 to John Pennebacker with wife Anne who sold 100 A. to
Joseph Millard Esq..........later June 13, 1772 an Adam and Mary
Young sell it to John Umstead.
The estate records of his son Peter show land that had been sold to Peter by John and Elizabeth (unrecorded deed) purchased in 1772 also. [Berks Co. Deed Book 151, p. 144; Berks Co. Deed 44 p. 113]
The children of John and
(We don't know whether dates from St. Gabriels are burial or death dates unless we state a birth date, which would be from a different source)
1. Jacob Umstead b. by abt. 1762, m. Elizabetha nee Umstead (parents unidentified) Oct, 7, 1783 by Wm. Boos; Bur. St. Gabriels Oct. 26, 1822.
Will, written Oct. 1, 1822, proven Oct. 30, 1822, names his daughters and four living sons. Wife mentioned but name not given - signed Jacob
Umsted. Seven items in estate file including the petition of Elizabeth, widow of Jacob; which shows that he left 10 children including two minors, Jacob and Charlotte. .John Umstead signs for Jacob, and Abraham Wanger signs for Charlotte. One of Jacob's parcels of land included mills in Norristown. Jacob and his sons John and Nicholas sign as Umsted [UN 1822 Will & Estate Recs. Will also in Berks Co. Wills D:147 ; Church recs]
CHILDREN OF JACOB UMSTEAD and ELIZABETH nee
UMSTEAD WHO SURVIVED INFANCY
Eleanor Dehaven Robeson's tombstone reads: In memory of
Eleanor, wife of Isaac Robinson, Formerly wife of William DeHaven,
Daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Umstead, Died Sept. 10, 1869,
aged 83 years 1 mo. William Dehaven's stone is next to hers.
- Barbara Wentz.
*Irish, Donna R, PENNSYLVANIA GERMAN MARRIAGES - Marriages and Marriage Evidence in Pennsylvania German Churchs, Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore, 1982 shows: Dobeeren, -----, Eleonora Umstatt, Cumru, 15 Mar 1808
b. Hannah b. abt. 1788 m.
1st Jan. 13, 1807 Isaac Freed, m. by Johann Wilheim Boos.
i. George b. abt. Jan. 7,
1805; d. Oct. 17, 1808 bur. at St. Gabriels, son
2. Peter b. 1763 ; m. (as son of John and Elizabeth Aug. 21, 1787 Elizabeth Meylin( 1767- Nov.30, 1848 oldest dau. of Frederick") by Rev. Carl Friedrich Wildbahn. Bur. St. Gabriels Church Feb. 12, 1835, 72 years old.
Will and estate Records of Peter Umstead: . (Peter Umstead, UN 1835): Will, written Nov. 5, 1834, proved Feb. 17, 1835, names wife Elizabeth, Grandson Elhaner Sidle? Granddaughter Edith Lapsly. Exec. Frederick Linderman, Wit. Henry & David Wamsher Estate Recs. show: Among amounts paid in 1836 : Mary Coplin, Jacob Umstead (niece and nephew of Peter.) Mar. 28, 1836 Heirs who signed were only widow, Elizabeth, William Bland, Jacob Wanger, George Wert, and Jacob Bunn.
Daughters listed in Peter's will:
3. Elizabeth b. Jan. 3, 1777, Bap. St. Gabriels Oct. 15, 1777, Parents John and Elizabeth.1st Umstead Bap. at St. Gabriels; no marriage info
4. John Umstead Jr. b. Oct. 21, 1770, m. Elizabeth ? ( Oct. 8, 1773-Oct. 14, 1831), d. Oct. 2, 1826, bur. St. Gabriels, proven by firm Circumstantial Evidence. We know that John Sr. had a son John living when he died because his tombstone says John Sr. Johns land was adj. to Jacob and Peters, and the wills and estate recs. of the families confirms the relationship. Estate Recs. of John show that he owned land adj. Peter Umstead, Jacob Rahn, Nicholas Sidel and others. This land was on the Warwick line. Petition by eldest son Samuel Jan. 5, 1827, and estate settlement in 1829 reveal his seven children. Clement Brooke is guardian of minor dau. Susanna, and Abraham Wanger is guardian of minor dau. Elizabeth. The estate settlement of Samuel, unmarried, in 1835 reveal later marriages. John had some children baptized at Emanuel Lutheran Church, Pottstown.
5. Helena/Eleanor Umstead b. May 16, 1756; m. Dec. 29, 1774 John Kirlin Jr/ (Mar. 13, 1753-May 24; 1821 Berks Co.) by Rev. Wm. Boos; d. Aug. 31, 1823. Bur. St. Gabriels as Elenor, wife of John Kirlin. John was the son of John Kirlin Sr.. (St. Gabriels Burial Records state John Kirlin Sr., of Amity Twp. died Mar. 13, 1812, age 90 years) and the brother of Jacob Kerlin and the brother of Catharine Kirlin who m. Peter Jones.
The children of John and Helena/ Eleanor of Amity Twp. as shown in St. Gabriels Church records and 1821 will of John Kirling Jr.
a. Jacob Kirlin b. Jan. 10, 1776, Bap. Jan. 14, child of John and Helena, sponsors Jacob Kirlin and Hannah Wimpsted (1st name in will.) ....
b. William (in will only, heir and executor.)....
c. Samuel Kirlin b. April 17, 1777, bap. Oct. 15, 1777., son of John and Helena (not in will) ....
d. John ....
e. George and f. Elias Kirlin, twin sons of John and Eleanor.b. Apr. 2, 1796, Bap July 17 [George not in will]....
g, Elizabeth m. Matthias Scheifley ....
h. - j. daus. Hannah, Mary, and Esther ; sons in law (not designated as to wives): Eli Trago and David Lupold.
[Children bap.Emmanuel Lutheran Church: (a) Johannes b: Sep 6, 1798, bp: Oct 4, 1798, sp: Johann & Eleonora Kerlin, g-parents ... (b) Mathias b: Apr 18, 1800, bp Jul 12, 1800, sp: Jacob & Hanna (Umstead, strange spelling) Kerlin ... (c) .William , bp: Jan 31, 1808, sp: Heinrich Missemer, Susanna ...(d) Hester b: Feb 14, 1809, bp: Sep 10, 1809, sp: parents ...
e. Eleonora bp: Apr 26, 1812, sp: parents]
(Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Pottstown, Recs. O. B. Lessig & J. J. Kline's compilation)
6. Mary Umstead b. abt. 1762
m. John Harrison (Jr.), Quaker (Nov. 18, 1850- Feb. 8, 1810 of
Union Twp.) June 2, 1783 by Rev. William Boos. John got
in trouble for this but apologized in 1785. Widow
Mary was the adm. of Johns estate in 1810. Mary Harrison
is bur. Exeter Friends Burial Ground, d. 1822. There is also a
John Umstead Harrison bur. there.
For further information on children and additional descendants, please email Cris at the Email link below. Information will often be undocumented and will be offered only as clues for your further research and documenting.
This document comes from the UM research team and was compiled by Eleanor Mayfarth.
Back to Peter "PVS"
Back to Family of Peter "PVS"
Back to Generations
Top of Page